Advice On Learning Geant4

Hello all!

I am embarking on a journey to learn some Geant4. I want to model a specific gamma ray detector with the goal of making summing corrections on the spectra for any isotopes that cascade.

I have no experience in Geant at all and I have heard there are some subtleties between the different versions as well as special low energy gamma packages.

Has anyone done a similar project and can recommend a good starting point? Or knows a good person to talk to?

In general, any suggestions for the best ways to start tackling Geant?

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated!

Thank you,
Holly Matthews

MSU Graduate Assistant

I have not! But there are probably some people who have on this forum. @pablo , do you know any active members who do a lot of detector design? We can also ask Paul Gueye if he has any good resources.

In case others have the same question later, I found some resources-

Best documentation: Book For Application Developers — Book For Application Developers 11.2 documentation
Video tutorial (installation/first simulation): https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLybgCU6QCGWgzNYOV0SKen9vqg4KXeVL&si=de3uQ3O7xfnZH8R7

(If you’re on FishTank: CMake version 3.13 with Geant4 10.07 works best)

Cheers,
Holly

We also have a simulation lab here for our graduate second-year nuclear lab course, so some of our students might be of help with Geant4. I can ask one of my friends who took the lab if they have any good tips too! I think he’s actually in ASCSN as well. :slight_smile: