2024 FRIB-TA Summer School

Welcome to the 2024 FRIB-TA summer school forum! We thought it would be nice to have a casual space for preschool introductions to help everyone in getting to know each other.

My name is Grigor Sargsyan and I am an FRIB Theory Fellow studying microscopic optical potentials and structure of atomic nuclei using ab initio methods. I did my undergrad in Armenia before coming to the U.S. for grad school in 2015. I got my PhD in 2021 from Louisiana State University and was a postdoc at Lawrence Livermore National Lab before joining FRIB in 2023. I like rock climbing and hiking, and before a couple of years ago, I used to watch a lot of anime. So, chances are I still might know your favorite anime characters :ninja: :fist_right: :fish_cake:

I am looking forward to meeting all of you!

BTW, this platform is hosted by FRIB researchers. Kudos to Kyle Godbey for creating it.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Iā€™m Erin Good and Iā€™m currently a physicist at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, WA (this is the desert and not the pine tree rainy part of Washington youā€™re thinking of. Iā€™m currently working on research and nuclear data measurements for nuclear forensics. I did my PhD at Louisiana State University (which is where I met Grigor as an office neighbor) working on the split-pole spectrograph at Florida State and nuclear astrophysics measurements. Then I did a postdoc at FRIB with Artemis Spyrou doing beta-Oslo things with the SuN detector. Iā€™m into gardening, cooking, and reading, so hit me up with book recs! Looking forward to meeting everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m ChloĆ«, Iā€™m an assistant professor at MSU. My research focuses on reaction theory used to interpret data from radioactive-ion beam facilities and to evaluate reaction rates for astrophysics! Iā€™m from Belgium (the country of the Belgian fries :wink: ) I did my PhD in my hometown, Brussels, and in Mainz, in Germany. I moved to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory after the PhD in 2020 where I was a FRIB theory fellow and to MSU/FRIB in 2023. In my sparetime, I like hiking and travelling :slight_smile: As Erin, I look forward to meeting you all !

3 Likes

Hello hello friends!

I am Pablo Giuliani, I work at FRIB on many things in research (machine learning, statistics, and their application to nuclear physics), in education and community building (having ice cream with people, and helping them thrive), and in outreach (making the general public excited about what we do here).

I will be be helping the amazing team of the reaction FRIB TA summer school to record the sessions, and I will also talk, together with Kyle Beyer, a bit about machine learning and statistics applied to reactions :slight_smile:

Super excited to see yā€™all here next week!

And here goes a picture of my doggie Dirac together with Diogeneā€™s doggie Fermi, together forming a Dirac-Fermi distribution of doggies:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is Gregory. Iā€™m a staff scientist at LLNL, working on direct and compound nuclear reactions, photonuclear reactions, Nuclear Data activities, and things like that. Iā€™ve also spent some time working at FRIB in the past. I did my PhD a few centuries ago in my Spanish hometown of Sevilleā€¦ See you all next week!

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m Alexandra Semposki and I am a Ph.D. student in nuclear theory at Ohio University. I work in Daniel Phillipsā€™ group and am a member of the BAND collaboration, which is how I initially got to know so many wonderful MSU people! :slight_smile: My work focuses on development of Bayesian model mixing techniques and their application to challenging nuclear physics problems. Currently I am focusing my efforts on the dense matter equation of state, but soon will be collaborating with Filomena, Pablo, and Kyle on applying model mixing to reactions, so Iā€™m looking forward to learning a lot at this school! I also enjoy reading (mostly classic novels right now), listening to music, hiking, learning German, and baking. Looking forward to meeting you all in person next week!

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
Iā€™m Brenda Pinheiro. Iā€™m a Ph.D. student in Nuclear Theory at the Federal Fluminense University, NiterĆ³i, Brazil. I am currently working on multi-nucleon transfer reactions. I also enjoy reading (at the moment Iā€™m totally obsessed with Elena Ferranteā€™s books), watch anime (ā€œKaizoku ou ni ore wa naru!ā€), TV shows, movies, jogging, and go out for drinking with my friends :smile:.

2 Likes

Hello, Everyone.
Iā€™m Surender Kaliraman, a Ph.D. student at DCRUST Murthal, India, specializing in Theoretical Nuclear Physics. My research delves into the Interference Effects in Breakup Reactions of Exotic Nuclei/Halo Nuclei. I have a passion for programming across different languages and enjoy exploring new theoretical and experimental tools and codes that advance my research.

2 Likes

Hi there! Iā€™m Minh-Loc Bui, currently a postdoc at San Diego State University, working on a cool project about Scattering and Direct Reactions in a Shell Model Framework.

Iā€™m originally from Vietnam, where I finished my PhD in 2016. Iā€™ve also had the chance to do postdoc work at Tel Aviv University in Israel and the Center for Exotic Nuclear Study in South Korea. Over the years, Iā€™ve tried different research topics (not much has come out).

Outside of work, Iā€™m trying my best to maintain my interest in video games, movies, chess, and soccer.

2 Likes

Hello. My name is Raul Bernal Gonzalez. I am a Masterā€™s student at San Diego State University working with Calvin Johnson. My research is on optimizing and parallelizing nuclear shell model calculations. I hope to someday work on my Phd at MSU. In my spare time I like to play video games and D&D with my friends.

2 Likes

Hey all! Iā€™m Kyle Beyer, a post doc working on nuclear reaction theory here at FRIB. Iā€™m especially interested in building better reaction models for rare isotopes using Bayesian statistics.

I also love running and am currently training for a 100K ultra marathon!

4 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Nuwan Yapa and I am originally from Sri Lanka. I am a post-doc at Florida State University working with Dr. KĆ©vin Fossez on reduced basis methods (RBMs) for emulating nuclear resonances. I am also working on relativistic mean field theories (RMFs) with Dr. Jorge Piekarewicz as a side project.

In my free time I like hiking mountains, working on DIY projects and shooting at the gun range. Looking forward to meeting you all!

2 Likes

Some useful materials for the summer school can be found here FRIB TA Summer School 2024 - Google Drive

1 Like